Thursday 26 March 2015

Evaluation Question 7 - Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

There are many things that differentiate between my two products; the preliminary task and my final front cover for my music magazine, the first being that I have learnt not to only use one text for the whole front cover, as I did for my preliminary task. This time, I have used 3 main texts along with 1 or 2 subtexts, which means that my music magazine looks more professional and more attractive towards my target audience; it does not look bland. As well as this, I have also learnt to have my feature artist looking directly at the camera, as it makes the audience feel as if they are more involved with the magazine itself, as well as making the artist look like they are involved with the magazine. I have developed this magazine so that it looks more professional than my preliminary task, and so it appeals to my target audience more. I have done this by doing a questionnaire for my target audience to fill in after the product was finished, as seen on the evaluation question 5, as well as, before creating my product, doing a focus group so that I got to know what it was my target customer liked and didn't like, and then I reflected their needs within my product. When it came to my preliminary task, I didn't do a focus group, and in some ways I believe that this is why my preliminary product doesn't correlate to my target customer's needs as well as my magazine does. If I were to do this product again, I would change the era in which I based my magazine on; I may still include the artists that featured on my product again, however I would definitely make it a more modern style product. This is because I found it incredibly hard to find colour schemes and fonts/colours that fitted particularly and specifically with my theme, and also when it cames to editing my pictures, I didn't know, even with planning and research, if I needed to add an effect on or not and why. I found carrying out the preliminary task useful as I found myself understanding how each application worked and how to create my magazine; I believe that if I went straight into my music magazine without doing the preliminary task, then I wouldn not have had as much knowledge on the connotations and what an audience wants and doesn't want etc. In order to produce my music magazine, I found that I learnt a lot about the typical connotations of a music magazine, and what an audience wants in order to buy and re buy a magazine. I also found that I learnt a lot more about the music industry, and how a music magazine is made and what research goes into it all, as well as finidng out the best ways to get a photo and in what areas etc. I found out many key definitions, like for example, what a niche audience is (a small proportion of a population that are most likely to read/listen to etc. indie products), and where to put things like a mast head, skyline, plug and why etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment